You may be asking yourself, “What’s the best age to get braces in Irving?” The answer is, “it depends.” What works for one person may not be the best choice for another. In this post, you’ll find handy tips to guide you in your dental care decisions. Use this information along with guidance from your family dentist.
Dental Care Is a Lifelong Proposition
Lots of people think that teeth, like hair follicles, are designed to fall out at a certain age. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your chompers should last a lifetime, as long as they receive routine care. This is why it’s so important to teach your kids good dental habits, since the lessons they learn now will determine how the rest of their lives turn out.
Establishing a relationship with a good dentist early on is important. The doctor will examine your child’s teeth with an eye towards spotting problems such as underbite, overbite, or misalignments. Should any of these issues show up, then you’ll probably receive a referral to an orthodontist in Irving for a full checkup and, if needed, an appointment to fit braces.
Debunking the Most Common Myths about Braces
Some misconceptions last much longer than they should. Despite the many advances in dentistry in recent years, many people still believe that braces are uncomfortable, unattractive, or difficult to maintain. Here are answers to some of the most common myths about this important subject:
- “Braces set off metal detectors at the airport.” This claim is simply not true.
- “Braces make playing a wind instrument impossible.” While the wearer may need to make some minor adjustments to his or her playing style, there’s no need to worry about this concern.
- “Braces attract fish when the wearer is swimming underwater.” Like the first myth, this one is also untrue – although it’s a popular Internet meme.
- “Braces make getting struck by lightning more likely.” This common belief is also unsupported by science.
- “Braces rust.” Modern braces are made from high-grade titanium alloys that cannot rust, no matter how much exposure to water they receive.
- “Braces are ugly and unattractive.” Most people consider problems like severe underbites, overbites, and crooked teeth far more unsightly than modern braces, which are available in low-profile colors that closely match the wearer’s enamel.
What About Invisalign?
Choosing a dentist who works with Invisalign in Irving is one possible alternative to braces. Invisalign aligners are transparent, can be removed for short periods, and, very often, do as good a job of correcting teeth problems as more traditional options. However, only a professional can determine the best solution for your child.
While we’re on this topic, we should mention that braces aren’t just for kids. People of any age can benefit from dental realignment therapy. Talk to your dentist during your next checkup to find out if you’re a good candidate for this option. You’re never too young – or too old – to enjoy better dental health.
About the Author
The professionals at Rio Dental and Orthodontics offer a full range of dental care services for every member of the family. Their location offers patient-centered amenities like an in-house movie theater, video games, and even free toys for younger patients. You can reach their office online or by calling (505) 404-0002.